Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Steve Forbes Would Make This Simpler

Tomorrow is tax day for us. We've been going to the same guy now for 5 or 6 years now. The first year I went he charged me $50. The second year he charged me $75 and said that he'll bump me up to $100 next year. We've been paying $75 ever since.

I like the guy. I heard about him from a retired friend from work. I asked if he knew anybody good around town and said, "I'll tell you what, Danny. You go to this guy. He's excellent and he hates the government."

I'm not sure about that (it doesn't come up at our annual meetings), but I do know that we pay a lot in taxes. I don't think about taxes when I get my check because it's not that dramatic of an amount to get too excited about. On the W-2 however, it's a different story. That amount + day care + interest on our mortgage = a helluva lot of money.

We could do the taxes ourselves (I'm told that people do that). I'd rather give myself a dental filling. Those limp gray tax forms you can pick up at the local library make my attention span revert to its 10th grade geometry class length.

I wonder what happened to Steve Forbes and his flat tax? Would you just have 17% taken out of your paycheck and be done. No deductions, breaks, penalties? No goverment officials sneaking tax ammendments into wildlife bills? This could be a new documentary: Who Killed the Flat Tax?

No comments: