Sunday, February 11, 2007

Jack Earns Game Puck



Today was a big day at the hockey rink. Jack scored two goals for his team in an offensive shoot-out against arch rival "Blue Team." The coaches have been talking for a couple of weeks now about getting Jack a goal and there was much gnashing of teeth when his first breakaway wrister ricocheted off the right pipe.

Sandra and Brian watched the game along with Jodi, Aidan, and I. After nodding heads and holding finger and thumb an inch apart to show how close he came to glory, I smelled Aidan.

When I was changing his diaper on the floor of the men's room, I thought how ironic it would be if Jack scored while I was cleaning Aidan.

Sure enough, as I carried Aidan back to our seats I could tell by Jodi and Sandra's animated discussion that Jack had scored.

That's okay, I thought. Jodi missed Jack's goal in the first game and she didn't even leave her seat. After watching a couple of more line changes, Jack had another chance and zipped a wrister past the goalie for goal #2.

The highlight of the day came when I was helping him out of his gear in the locker room with the rest of the team. The coach came in and boomed, "Game pucks for Jack and Sean for scoring their first goals of the season (I think he missed Jack's first game)! Good game you guys!"

Jack's eyes were huge as he accepted the blue game puck. If hockey wasn't his favorite sport before today, it is now.

No comments: