Saturday, January 13, 2007

Lake Winona




I made it out on Lake Winona skiing late this afternoon. In order to actually ski I had to hug the shore where the wind has blown the snow to a depth that would be generously measured in millimeters. Further out from shore it's clear ice and impossible to push off with your skis.

Lake Winona, despite it's water quality reputation, is a scenic lake. Bluffs rise out from the southeast by the airport, northeast towards the court house, and also along the west side. Mature trees cluster and lean out along the west shore with yellow-green moss in the bark fissures. You'll find the occasional cedar, too.

I ski from the lake access north. I love the view east towards the Marion Building and also Bethany Home. Both properties have sloping grassy lawns dotted with 40 foot oak trees. Large, older homes on the west side of Cedar Street back up to the Lake from 5th avenue up to 8th avenue. It's a quiet, peaceful to ski.

Today was my great-grandmother's funeral. It was a beautiful and comforting service. It's hard to find words that do her justice. She was always kind to me and interested in what I was doing. She lived almost 97 years. We have a picture of her when Jack was born of 5 generations (Great-grandma, Grandma, Dad, me, and Jack).

No comments: