Sunday, January 14, 2007

Travel: Pros and Cons



Traveling makes me crabby. Especially the tail-end of a trip when we get home. I don't sleep well and driving on the freeway isn't as fun as it was when I was 16. Factor in the black moods that every O'Brien seems to have from time to time and I can be tough to live with. It's at time like these when I understand why some animals eat their young.

My pity parties don't last too long. Jodi makes sure of that. A couple of oh-too-true barbs (think: starving children, homeless people, single mothers with 6 kids) and I'm left licking my wounds. Plus how can you stay crabby when Jack and Aidan run downstairs fresh from a bath wearing only smiles (it's how they dry the lotion off after a bath).

I heard about the Chevy Volt on NPR last week. It's an electric car that can travel 40 miles on a single charge. When needed a small flex fuel engine starts to recharge the battery. There is no transmission and most work commutes would never cause the engine to start.

This could be a really big winner for Chevy if the car proves durable and reliable. But it will only help reduce greenhouse gases if the power needed to charge the Volt comes from a clean, renewable energy source. Burning more coal to take the place of oil is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Wouldn't it make sense to package the Volt with a small solar power array that would be used to charge it?

No comments: