Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Norwegian Bachelor Farmers


Today was meetings, work, hockey, bedtime. I had just enough time to read that the Gophers hired Punky Brewster. He can recruit, but can he recruit, coach, sell out a new stadium, increase revenues for non-revenue sports, and graduate players?

Here's what I noticed yesterday.

According to an article in the Star Tribune, the New York Times reviewed census data and reported that 51% of women are unmarried. Apparently this is the first time in recorded American history this has happened. The article credits women waiting longer to get married, outliving their husbands, and not remarrying after death or divorce.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is the NY Times trying to be provacative? Perhaps bait some Bible belt politican into saying something stupid? Pat Robertson's been too quiet lately? Maybe.

The data I didn't see was what percent of American men are unmarried? I it assume that it's more than 50%.

Here's why:
1. Norwegian bachelor farmers (how else to explain our abundant food supply?)
2. There's more men than women. I've taught for 8 years and never have I had more girls than boys in a class. It's always been more boys than girls. The highlight? 2000-2001 school year: 17 boys, 5 girls.


Conversely, there was an NPR story from Ethiopia about a new law banning marriages to girls under 18. Seems that girls there get married off at the age 14. The average age difference between husband and wife is 8 years. The law was designed to allow girls the freedom to pusue an education and mature personally before being wed.

1 comment:

dave said...

I read the article from the NY Times this week too. I don't think they are trying to bait some nut like Robertson, who doesn't need the help saying something stupid, though you never know. I think it does say a lot about the dramatic change in opportunities for women over the last forty years. I am pretty sure there aren't more NBF's (Norwegian Bachelor Farmers) than 50 years ago. Sociologically, it must have signifigance, though like you I am not entirely sure what. I guess it doesn't have to be good or bad.

I hadn't heard the Ethopia story, but maybe they need to allow polyandry. I would make a great third husband.
dave