Thursday, March 1, 2007

Must Keep Shoveling



We've shoveled the driveway three times today and it could be done again. The snow just keeps on coming. There is so much snow that our driveway resembles the continental United States- Appalachians on the east side, Great Plains in the center, and the Rockies on the west. The pile that Jack is on started last weekend when I shoveled all of it to that end so it wouldn't blow back during the night. It's about as tall as I am.



School was let out early in both of our disticts today. I was told about 10:00 this morning that we'd be let out at 1:50 (about 90 minutes early) and that I needed to start calling families now. At that point, learning was over. The kids did busy work (can't teach and talk on the phone) and I dialed away.



It has been fun though. We all made it home safe and have no where urgent to go. We did have a scare with the furnace. It started blowing out cool air around 6:30 tonight. I tried restarting it and turning up the thermostat. It sounded like it was taking in gas and blowing, but not igniting. I checked outside and the vents were drifted over with snow. After those were cleared I flipped the breaker on and off and crossed my fingers. It worked. I had visions off a frozen house with burst pipes or the house going up in a natural gas vapor cloud.



With the furnace running, we all went back outside to shovel again. Aidan loves to help and Jack loves to climb an jump. Jack got a snowmobile ride from Neighbor Steve. I'm going to try to post that on Google video when I have a faster connection and put in a link to it. He like it a lot and didn't want to get off. Aidan was concerned for his safety and kept backing away from the snowmobile yelling "Get off Jack, Come Jack."



The news said Chaska had over 13 inches by 5:00 tonight. We must be at least that by now. It just doesn't quit. The weather people say we're about half-way done with this. It will be fun for the boys to play in tomorrow since both of our schools are closed. We've never had this much snow at this house.

No comments: